Thursday, March 11, 2010

Beefy Black Bean and Corn Chili

I found this recipe in Cooking Light.  My family LOVED it.  It is even better the next day.  I used dried beans (no sodium, all you have to do is soak them over night)  This recipe reads just like it does off the Cooking Light website.

Beefy Black Bean and Corn Chili

1 pound ground round
2 teaspoons salt-free chili powder blend
1 (14-ounce) package frozen seasoned corn
1 can black beans drained and rinsed
1 (14-ounce) can fat-free, less-sodium beef broth
1 (15-ounce) can seasoned tomato sauce for chili

Reduced-fat sour cream (optional)
Sliced green onions (optional)

1. Combine beef and chili powder blend in a large Dutch oven. Cook 6 minutes over medium-high heat or until beef is browned, stirring to crumble. Drain and return to pan.

2. Stir in frozen corn mixture, broth, and tomato sauce; bring to a boil. Cover, reduce heat, and simmer 10 minutes. Uncover and simmer 5 minutes, stirring occasionally.

3. Ladle chili into bowls. Top each serving with sour cream and onions, if desired.

Nutritional Information


Calories:193 (14% from fat)
Fat:3g (sat 1g,mono 1g,poly 0.3g)
Protein:20g
Carbohydrate:20g
Fiber:3.4g
Cholesterol:40mg
Iron:2mg
Sodium:825mg (You can see why I chose to use dried to cut this number down)
Calcium:0.0mg

2 comments:

Jessica - cbgblog said...

Thanks.
My mom said it lasts awhile so we will see how I feel soon. I tried some meds a few times this week and it helped but I hate mades too.

We will see. Thanks for caring :)

Anonymous said...

I really enjoyed this recipe! However, I must say you are a great cook! I have been so blessed by your cooking! We are going to get healthier and lighter! I am so proud of your accomplishments so far, but moreever, I am proud of your determonation to get healthy and stay on the exercise program we have. You da woman!!! I LOVE you!!!